Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
Site logo

Motor Neurone Disease funding: an update on Richard's calls for increased research funding

  • Tweet
Wednesday, 14 December, 2022
  • Westminster News
MND funding

In April 2021, Richard, along with several other Members of Parliament, wrote to the then Health Minister about the need for greater funding into Motor Neurone Disease, which can have a devastating impact on people’s lives - Richard calls for investment in Motor Neurone Disease research | Richard Fuller and earlier this year, met with the All Party Parliamentary Group on MND at their AGM to support them and learn more about the latest developments in their work - Richard attends AGM of the All Party Group on Motor Neurone Disease | Richard Fuller

Following this intervention, the government pledged to put £50 million into Motor Neurone Disease research and it has this week confirmed the allocation of funding, with £29.5 million of the funding to be invested immediately through research centres and partnerships with leading researchers. A further £20.5m is to accelerate work on the most promising treatments and has also been committed for use in MND research, available through open call processes.

Commenting on this news, Richard said: "This is a particularly welcome development. My first encounter in detail with Motor Neurone Disease was a number of years ago at meeting in Bromham organised by the North Bedfordshire branch of the Motor Neurone Disease Association and it was clear what a devastating disease this can be.

The key to finding a cure is to fasten the pace of research and we need to develop new and innovative treatments. The allocation of this funding is an important next step in ensuring more research and gaining a better understanding of the disease. The symptoms can progress at varying speeds, meaning the course of the disease is very difficult to predict and I am pleased that this funding can fully play its part in developing crucial research."

More information is available here: Government delivers on pledge for £50 million motor neurone disease research funding - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

 

You may also be interested in

Photo of Richard speaking to residents at King's Reach Town Hall in Biggleswade July 2025

Richard's town hall meeting in King's Reach - next one in Oakley on 4 September

Friday, 29 August, 2025
Richard recently held his latest town hall meeting at The Orchard Centre in Biggleswade.Commenting he said:It was a very engaged discussion with residents at my recent town hall in King’s Reach where we discussed a range of topics from local healthcare, roads, the train service and driving test wait

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2025 Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree