Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
Site logo

UK-France Migration Deal Achieved

  • Tweet
Tuesday, 15 November, 2022
  • Westminster News
france UK Migrant deal

The Home Secretary, Suella Braverman, this week finalised a deal with the French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin to tackle migrant crossings, securing our borders and cracking down on human traffickers. Numbers of officers in northern France will increase by 40% over the coming months as a result of UK funding to step up action to reduce illegal small boat crossings,

The new agreement lays the foundations for deeper UK-French co-operation to tackle illegal migration and marks the next step for the close operational partnership between the two countries which has prevented over 30,000 crossings this year. 

The arrangement means, for the first time, specialist UK officers will also be embedded with their French counterparts, which will increase information sharing, improve understanding of the threat, and ensure UK expertise is at the heart of efforts to disrupt crossings and clamp down on people smugglers. This more integrated approach will also include strengthened operational co-operation, including joint UK-France analysis teams supporting the co-ordination and exchange of information by French-command HQ.

Richard Fuller MP said:

This is a positive step but we will be judged by results. Vulnerable people are being exploited by money making criminals who profit from misery. Our asylum procedures are being exploited too and the government must continue to be vigilant in plugging gaps that can be abused.

The Home Office must get better at processing claims. Frankly after so many years of poor performance I am astounded we don’t have reports of sackings of those in charge of implementing policies who subsequently fail on a routine basis.

Joint working between UK and French officers so far has secured more than 140 convictions connected to people smuggling since the start of 2020 – and these criminals now face a combined 400 years behind bars.

The UK-France Joint Intelligence Cell, which has so far dismantled 55 organised crime groups and secured over 500 arrests since its inception in 2020, will also be expanded.

This latest multi-year arrangement between France and the UK is worth up to 72.2 million euros in 2022 to 2023. It will strengthen security at ports to help clamp down on illegal entry by funding investment in cutting edge surveillance technology, drones, detection dog teams, CCTV and helicopters to help detect and prevent crossings. It will also go towards supporting reception and removal centres in France for migrants whose journeys to the UK are prevented, to further deter crossing attempts.

A new taskforce will also be set up, focused on reversing the recent rise in Albanian nationals and organised crime groups exploiting illegal migration routes into Western Europe and the UK.

This enhanced approach will boost joint British and French collaboration, which has already prevented over 30,000 illegal crossing attempts since the start of the year – more than 50% more than at the same stage last year.

The renewed partnership marks the next step in joint efforts to reduce these dangerous crossings and paves the way for deeper co-operation between the 2 countries in future, looking ahead to next year’s UK-France leaders’ summit.

You may also be interested in

Photo of Richard speaking to residents at King's Reach Town Hall in Biggleswade July 2025

Richard holds a town hall meeting in King's Reach - next one in Oakley on 4 September

Friday, 29 August, 2025
Richard recently held his latest town hall meeting at The Orchard Centre in Biggleswade.Commenting he said:It was a very engaged discussion with residents at my latest town hall in King’s Reach where we discussed a range of topics from local healthcare, roads, the train service and driving test wait

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2025 Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree