Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • The Economy
  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
  • Cardington Town Hall Survey
Site logo

Richard comments on submissions to Central Bedfordshire Council's Call for Sites

  • Tweet
Wednesday, 25 June, 2025
  • Local News
CBC Call for Sites logo from their website

Central Bedfordshire Council (CBC) is in the process of updating the Local Plan and as part of this, there will be a need to allocate sites for new homes and jobs, and potentially supporting infrastructure. The council's Local Plan 'Call For Sites' took place at the end of last year and they recently announced that 626 sites were put forward.

Commenting, Richard Fuller MP said:

Planning decisions are rightly a matter for local councils and councillors but my eye was drawn to the recently published lists of sites submitted for development to Central Bedfordshire Council.  The “call for sites” is a standard part of a local council developing its Local Plan to help guide how to shape the future of our local environment.  For years now I have been highlighting the rapid growth in households in North and Mid Bedfordshire – two and half to three times the national average – and the strain that puts on local services such as GP services or school places.

In this latest 'call for sites' I was not “surprised” that there would be many sites in the Biggleswade area submitted but I was stunned by the scale.  Similarly for the Potton and Tempsford area of Bedfordshire where we are awaiting a decision by Angela Rayner if she will add further to this rapid growth of housing by selecting Tempsford as a site for a new town.

I wish our local councillors all the best in managing this pressure for further development and will work with them to highlight the need to ease the existing pressures on public services before adding to them, and to maintain the character of rural Bedfordshire even as we do “more than our fair share” of new housing.

Central Bedfordshire Council ran a ‘Call for Sites’ between November 2024 and January 2025, where they sought to identify plots of land which meet their needs for the plan period. This can include land for new homes and jobs, renewable energy and green spaces for Biodiversity Net Gain (which is a mandatory requirement for development, to increase wildlife and habitats on a site). 

CBC received 626 submissions, which have now been published on their website. This is just the total number of sites that have been put forward for consideration and the council has not yet completed the analysis to allow them to understand whether these sites are suitable for the proposed use. A site assessment will be undertaken to determine each site’s suitability. Further information about this process can be found on the call for sites page of their website.

You may also be interested in

David Davis speaking to Biggleswade Veterans Club

Richard invites David Davis MP to Biggleswade Veterans Club to talk about Government's shameful plans to repeal Legacy Act on NI Troubles

Friday, 13 February, 2026
Last week, Richard welcomed The Rt Hon Sir David Davis MP to Biggleswade Library to talk with the local Armed Forces and Veterans Clubs at their weekly coffee morning.Richard Fuller MP said:David spoke to the group about the Labour Government’s shameful attempts to repeal the Northern Ireland Troubl

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2026 Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree