Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • The Economy
  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
  • Cardington Town Hall Survey
Site logo

Pharmacy First services now available at all local pharmacies

  • Tweet
Wednesday, 4 September, 2024
  • Local News
pharmacy first poster

All pharmacies in Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes (BLMK) are now part of the Pharmacy First scheme. Launched in February under the previous government, the scheme allows your local pharmacist to supply prescription-only medicines, including antibiotics and antivirals where clinically appropriate, to treat seven common health conditions without the need for patients to get a GP appointment or prescription.

The conditions and age groups covered by the scheme, which began earlier this year, are:

  • sinusitis (12 years old and over)
  • sore throat (5 years old and over);
  • earache (age 1-17 years);
  • infected insect bites (1 year old and over);
  • impetigo (1 year old and over);
  • shingles (18 years old and over);
  • uncomplicated urinary tract infections (women aged 16-64).

You can get treatment sooner for any of these conditions simply by asking at your local pharmacy.

Richard Fuller MP said:

I am pleased that the Pharmacy First scheme, launched under the previous government, is now in all pharmacies in BLMK, and is using the skills of our pharmacists to treat more people in the community without the need for a GP appointment – speeding up their own care as well as reducing pressure on local GP services.

Alongside expansions to pharmacy-based blood pressure checks and contraception services, Pharmacy First is expected to help free up as many as 10 million general practice team appointments per year.

For more information, see the NHS website: https://www.england.nhs.uk/.../pharmacy.../pharmacy-first/

You may also be interested in

Social Media Ban for Under 16s - Sign the petition if you agree with Richard's views

Thursday, 19 February, 2026
Richard has received many emails from constituents in support of increasing the minimum age for social media. Commenting he said:Through social media, children and young people can be exposed to extreme violent content, sexual material and online strangers in ways that would never be accepted i

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2026 Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree