Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
Site logo

Richard holds debate on access to GPs and primary care for patients in North East Bedfordshire

  • Tweet
Wednesday, 8 June, 2022
  • Westminster News

On Tuesday, Richard held a Westminster Hall Debate on access to GPs and primary care in North East Bedfordshire, highlighting the issues and concerns raised by so many of his constituents in recent months.

Richard Fuller MP said:

I have visited almost all GP practices in my constituency over the past six months and have listened to GPs, nurses, practice managers, receptionists and call handlers. These discussions reinforced what most of us already knew, that primary care in North East Bedfordshire is under severe strain.

As of April 2021 data, in terms of patient to GP ratio, Bedford, Luton & Milton Keynes (BLMK) ranked 8th highest out of 106 Clinical Commissioning Groups at 2,169 patients per GP against a national average of 1,772. From 2014 to 2022 the list size for GPs in North East Bedfordshire grew 13% compared with 8% nationally. For the same period, 2014 to 2022, the total headcount of qualified GPs grew 2.1% nationally but fell 2.2% in North East Bedfordshire. Over that 8 year period the number of GP Partners fell by over a quarter.

Consequently there are now 2,482 patients per GP, up 28% since 2014, and 3,792 patients per GP Partner, up 48% since 2014.

Richard added:

North East Bedfordshire is already near to the top of ratios and population growth is 3 times the national average. I have asked the Department for Health to look at NE Beds as a test case for Infrastructure First – identifying lessons learned from the inability of the NHS to keep pace – in personnel, processes and facilities – and mapping out what could have been done and what could now be done better.

I called on the Minister (Maria Caulfield), to accelerate action across the constituency, in several cases with plans that are already in place, in order to alleviate these problems that are causing such heartache to so many.

Richard also thanked GPs and their teams in his constituency for the work they had been doing.

The full thirty minute debate can be watched here. A full transcript of the debate can be found by following this link to Hansard and a new clip from BBC Look East can be watched here.

You may also be interested in

Photo of Richard speaking to residents at King's Reach Town Hall in Biggleswade July 2025

Richard holds a town hall meeting in King's Reach - next one in Oakley on 4 September

Friday, 29 August, 2025
Richard recently held his latest town hall meeting at The Orchard Centre in Biggleswade.Commenting he said:It was a very engaged discussion with residents at my latest town hall in King’s Reach where we discussed a range of topics from local healthcare, roads, the train service and driving test wait

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2025 Richard Fuller MP North Bedfordshire. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree