Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • The Economy
  • About
  • News
  • Campaigns
  • Surgeries
  • Policy and Campaign Responses
  • Contact
  • Cardington Town Hall Survey
Site logo

Richard reacts to Transport Select Committee hearings on East West Rail

  • Tweet
Thursday, 14 March, 2024
  • Local News

Last week the Transport Select Committee in Parliament heard evidence from various stakeholders associated with East West Rail.

Richard Fuller MP said:

I sat through the hearings and I have to say I was not impressed.

It is publicly recorded that the return on taxpayer investment will be little more than around 30p for every £1 that this railway will cost. As such participants in the hearing were keen to highlight the 'strategic benefits' that the railway will bring. Unfortunately, no-one was able to clearly define what those benefits might be, although there was broad consensus that significant housebuilding along the line would ultimately justify the £7 billion currently anticipated cost.

Bedfordshire has endured housebuilding far in excess of the national average in the past decade or so, to an extent that has placed colossal strain on services such as access to GPs, NHS dentists and school places. What we don't need is significantly more population growth, simply to make the numbers add up on a railway link that otherwise cannot deliver a return.

Richard recorded the following video with his reactions https://youtu.be/7_XMMWWX9CE?si=juaqWkBeH-vtytKp

You may also be interested in

EWR Walk

East West Rail

Since being elected, Richard has been an advocate for his constituents, consistently voicing their concerns to East West Rail and Department for Transport ministers.

East West Rail

Following the announcement in May of the route for East West Rail, Richard has outlined his opposition to the plans in this video. The announcement by East West Rail can be found here. For all of Richard's past news on East West Rail please visit this page.

Social Media Ban for Under 16s - Sign the petition if you agree with Richard's views

Thursday, 19 February, 2026
Richard has received many emails from constituents in support of increasing the minimum age for social media. Commenting he said:Through social media, children and young people can be exposed to extreme violent content, sexual material and online strangers in ways that would never be accepted i

News

  • Podcast

Show only

  • Articles
  • Local News
  • Newsletters
  • Opinions
  • Reports
  • Senedd News
  • Speeches
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Richard Fuller MP for North Bedfordshire

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Richard
  • In Parliament
ConservativesPromoted by Katherine Arnold on behalf of Richard Fuller both at NBCA, Biggleswade Conservative Club, St Andrews Street, Biggleswade SG18 8BA
Copyright 2026 Richard Fuller MP. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree